- This event has passed.
Heli-Paragliding in Atlin – Saturday
April 9, 2022 @ 10:00 am - 8:00 pm MSTFree
Heli-Paragliding in Atlin
During the Atlin Hill Climb on April 9, Jamie Tait has again offered to give paraglider pilots a ride up to the top of Atlin Mountain for some world-class paragliding. The Helicopter can take 5 pilots/wings. This is paragliding and this event is weather dependent. There will be a base camp at the foot of the mountain in a sheltered area where food and drinks will be available for pilots . Jamie Tait and other volunteers are bringing hot dogs and hot chocolate. Trevor has donated some prizes for the snow machine event as well as some of the food and beverages for Saturday Lunch. Please feel free to bring something to contribute.
There will be a hot dogs, hot chocolate and coffee to take a break after flying at base camp. Multiple rides up are possible but needs to be 5 passengers per shuttle for each shuttle flight from base. Pilots can also bring their snow machines and ride across the lake. The races are fun to watch. Bring your binoculars as well as snacks and something to drink. Pilots should be prepared to be self-sufficient for some time if para-waiting ensues. Non pilots are also welcome to take a scenic flight. Rick Sward will be playing music at the Atlin Inn on Friday and Saturday Night. For Saturday, there will be hot dogs and hot chocolate. Feel free to bring something to contribute. On Saturday night pilots will be having dinner and drinks after flying at the Atlin Inn. You might want to get accommodation for the night.
- Cell phones do NOT work in Atlin, but you can reach Jamie or pilots via Airband.
- Air-band 123.2 (uncontrolled frequency)
- Your Yukon medical will NOT cover you in BC. Ensure you have travel insurance or extended coverage.
- It takes just over two hours to drive from Whitehorse to Atlin
- Verify the night before that this is a go – based on Ice and Weather
- Drive to Atlin. Turn left. Go to airport. Look for Hanger with helicopter.
- Arrive by 10am at Tundra Helicopters (Jamie Tait Hanger)
- For details: Trevor 867-334-2787 or email@example.com
- Intermediate P2 Level or Higher due to the remoteness of and adverse conditions may be faced with.
- Tandem flights possible for non-certified pilots. If conditions are favourable, may be possible for low level pilots.
- It is expected pilots will have ability to launch in variable conditions (forward, reverse).
- Have basic first aid, food and water in event you land in an isolated area.
- Be prepared to be on the top of a mountain for extended periods. This means clothing, a drink and snack.
- Have a Radio (Airband recommended, others can be used so long as it’s coordinated)
- Paraglider packed as tightly as possible. No loose items.
- There is XC Potential. Be prepared to talk to other pilots.
- Be at the Airport in Atlin by 10am. Jamie will give Pilots a ride across lake and up the mountain.
- If you have a snow machine, you can also take it across the lake and be picked up at the base.
- We need 5 persons minimum to make this possible, but are aiming to have 10 or more persons. Groups of 5 are best, so please RSVP to help plan flights and logistics.
- There may be some celebrations afterwards. Perhaps at the Atlin Inn (owned by Jeremy). Please drive responsibly or arrange accommodations.
(250) 651-2444 (hanger)